[BioC] NEwbie: How to determine significant enrichment differences of GO term vectors?

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Mar 8 19:25:10 CET 2007

Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please excuse this naive question, but I would appreciate if someone could
> point me at the right function(s) to use:
> I have two vectors containing all GO terms associated with proteins
> retrieved in two proteomic experiments and would like to figure out for
> which categories they differ significantly from each other. I am obviously
> somewhat limited by the fact of not being able to use the 'standard'
> annotation packages, but I have build my own protein -> GenBank -> GO
> package using AnnBuilder.
>
> Please let me know how you would tackle this.
>
> Thanks for your patience,
>
> Joh

Dear Johannes,

not sure whether the existing software provides directly for your
question, or whether indeed I fully understand your question, but if I
do, one option would be simply to do a Binomial test against the Null
hypothesis

    a[i]  ~  Bin( a[i]+b[i], p=0.5)

where

 a[i] : frequency of GO Term i in Experiment A
 b[i] : frequency of GO Term i in Experiment B

This can be done just using the function "pbinom". Or to consider the
z-scores

  (a-b) / sqrt(a+b)

Best wishes
 Wolfgang