[BioC] OSX location of bioconductor functions

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Mar 9 14:44:25 CET 2007

Bobby Prill wrote:
> As an aside, I can't imagine why the column names in ANY function
> would be changed.  These column names are essentially the external
> interface to the function.  It seems like a very bad design decision
> to just one day change "M" to "logFC."

What has been changed is the output of a function (which is _not_ the
external interface to the function), and IIRC the change was made to
better reflect what the column contained.

The version of limma that had the columns labeled M and A still does
exist, and a simple downgrade to R-2.3.1 and a biocLite() will get you
there.

Anyway, I'm not sure I follow your logic. Are you saying that the output
of _all_ functions once written should be inviolate? So no change, no
matter how incremental is allowed? Personally, I couldn't disagree more
with this stance. You cannot improve things if you are not allowed to
make changes to both the API and the output.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.