[BioC] Correlation works, but dist() runs out of memory

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 18:12:14 CET 2007

Dear Daniel,

Please read the posting guide that recommends that you give a
reproducible example and the output of sessionInfo. Also, there is no
such thing as Bioconductor 0.9.

1) Are you sure you are giving it "only" a 22011 x 16 matrix? I get

 > a=numeric(2^31-1)
Error in vector("double", length) : cannot allocate vector of length
2147483647

 > a=numeric(2^31)
Error in vector("double", length) : vector size specified is too large

and of course 2^31 >> choose(22011,2).

2) choose(22011,2)*8/1e6 = 1937.84 i.e. one copy of your distance matrix
would need 2 GB RAM, and if you have other large stuff around or if it
needs to be copied, your 3 GB RAM may not be enough. Rather than brute
force, thinking about reducing the set of genes to an interesting subset
before doing the clustering might help.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.0 Under development (unstable) (2007-03-13 r40832)
i686-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"
[7] "base"

Best wishes
   Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber