[BioC] Signal above negative controls in a two-color experiment - limma?

John Fowler fowlerj at science.oregonstate.edu
Tue Mar 13 21:09:35 CET 2007

Hello,

I have searched in the FAQ and mailing list, but cannot find an
answer to my question.  I apologize if this has been asked before.

I have a series of hybs using a long-oligo spotted array for maize,
and am using two-color (Cy3 & Cy5-labelled) targets.  I would like to
generate a list of probes that detect signal that is 'above
background' for each target - that would be, significantly greater
than signal detected by the negative control probes on the array
(Aliens and Human sequences).  These would hopefully identify a set
of genes that are expressed vs not-detectably-expressed in my tissues
of interest.

I have a loop design, and am using limma to identify differentially
expressed genes.  Is it possible to use limma to also do the analysis
I suggested above?  I assume that this would involve using the
separate channel functions of limma, but am unclear on how to
approach it.

Many thanks,
John

--