[BioC] CGH microarrays significance test

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Wed Mar 21 17:06:51 CET 2007

Dear Joao,

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 16:33, João Fadista wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a CGH microarray experiment where I compare male vs. female in each
> sample (3 technical replicates with dye swaps = 6 samples). So in theory I
> would expect to see a difference in log2ratios of the X chromosome compared
> to the autosomes. This experiment is made mainly to assess/optimize the
> reliability of the protocol and the in-house microarray platform for CGH
> microarrays experiments.
>
> I already used packages in Bioconductor that deal with CGH microarrays but
> I would also like to have a statistical test to see if there is a
> significance difference between the mean values of log2ratios from the X
> chromosome compared to the autosomes. I already did a two-sample T-test and
> a Wilcox.test where the log2ratios for autosomal clones represent the first
> sample and log2ratios for clones from chromosome X represent the second
> sample.

I get confused here. It is not clear to me whether you want to compare between
males and females (as you say in the first paragraph) or between autosomal
and the X. I think the later, so here are some thoughts:

1. First, you have something like a paired design: for each subject you
measure both autosomal and the X. Since these are all arrayed in the same
glass, etc, you definitely want to account for this. More or less like the
logic behind a paired t test.

2. You do not only have one value for the X and one value for the autosomal,
but actually a collection of each. And the autosomals come in 22 packages.

3. My first thought would be to use a mixed effects models (with package nlme)
including terms for subject and, possibly, chromosome (within the
autosomals); the chromosome random effect might be crossed with subject or
nested within subject. I'd be inclined to nest it within subject.

4. By using the mixed-effects model you can also include your technical
replicates as technical replicates by adding a term for biological sample.

5. A simpler, direct, approach, would be to just take the average of all
autosomals and all the X within subject, average this over tech. replicates,
and do a paired t-test. But I would not recommend it.

6. With nlme and mixed effects models in general there are a battery of
diagnostics; in addition, you have very large sample sizes relative to the
number of (random and fixed) effects you are modeling.

7. You can also use heteroscedastic models with mixed effects to account for
the differences in variances between samples, thus performing the weighting
you refer to.

8. (You have gene information; technically, you might want to incorporate a
crossed gene effect. But you will then probably have difficulties fiting the
model, and you'll end up with a huge number of terms).

These are some half-cooked ideas. I do not think the above will be a simple,
10 minute, walk in the woods, but I think it might be a worthwile modelling
exercise.

A different approach: since you have used some of the CGH packages, you
probably have estimates of regions of gains and loss. Thus, a different type
of analysis would be not to use the log2ratios, but use instead the
inferences about gains and losses, by arguing that the later are actually
denoised versions of the former (and, thus, "better things to" base your
downstream inferences upon).

Best,

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Statistical Computing Team

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}