[BioC] suggestion about a split-plot factorial design with limma

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Mon Mar 26 16:53:28 CEST 2007

Dear Valeria,
You should always at least cc emails like this to the Bioconductor list.

I do not have time to go through your code in detail.

I agree that you have a split plot design.  My understanding of limma
is that it handles 1 random effect.  In the split plot design you
describe, you should test disease status against subject(disease) and
growth and disease x growth against the error, so that actually you
have 2 random effects.

All of the contrasts you are doing are for individual treatments and
so will be tested against the "pure error".  So, I think that you
should be able to do this.  However, you will need to add "subject"
to the design matrix for the 3 healthy subjects.

--Naomi

Associate Professor
University Park, PA 16802-2111