[BioC] Optimal workstation architecture for running R / Bioconductor

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 28 15:18:38 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 08:28, Gunther Höning wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> as I mentioned in my task before (Memory error while processing 35
> Affymetrix cel files) I analyze a lot of data. My own processing steps
> after bg-correction and normalization will (hopefully) improve the cel
> files I have.
> So I am looking for an suitable workstation configuration, e.g. 64bit
> architecture, 16 GB RAM.... etc.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with setting up such a system ?

You will want to run Linux or Unix of some kind.  The hardware is pretty easy
to find these days.  Look for "workstations" at Dell, HP, etc.  64-bit, 16Gb
of RAM used to require "setting up", but these days, these machines are
relatively easy to come by for about $7000, most of which is memory costs.

Sean