[BioC] microarray: dealing with multi probes for one gene

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue May 22 17:42:16 CEST 2007

Hi Christophe,

This is one of the classic questions on the list and I suggest that you
go through the archives
(http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor) for
more answers.

It depends on why you would have differences if the probes don't follow
the same profiles, as in Naomi's case, and which questions you are
trying to answer. For differential expression, you can often deal with
multiple probes per gene independently. If you are looking for gene set
enrichment (such as GO analyses), then the statistics expect a
measurement per gene.

As I said, the archives contain a lot of information on that particular
question.

Francois