[BioC] gcrma and combineAffyBatch

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue May 22 20:20:24 CEST 2007

Hi Michael,

Michael Palumbo wrote:
> hello,
>
> i'm new to bioconductor and processing array data, but i'm not new to R
> - not an expert, either, let's say mildly competent...
>
> (output of sessionInfo() is at bottom of this email.)
>
> the short version of my question:
> i'm having trouble running gcrma() on an affy batch object returned from
> combineAffyBatch(). the combined object is created by combining data
> from two types of mouse chips: moe430a and mouse4302. gcrma() returns
> this error:
>
>  > gcrma.eset.A.V2 <- gcrma(comb.A.V2$dat)
>
>  Adjusting for optical effect...Done.
>
>  Computing affinitiesError in getCDF(cdfpackagename) : The current operation could not
>  access the Bioconductor repository. Please check your internet connection, and report
>  further problems to bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
>

> the long version of my question, and more code:
> i believe the combining of chip data occurs without error. i put the
> newly computed cdf in the global environment - i think this is where the
> problem is - like it's not being recognized.

So there are two problems here. First, getCDF() looks for an _installed_
cdf package, rather than an environment, and if it doesn't find the
installed package it tries to get one from BioC, which as you know is
failing. I could envision some sort of hackery that could get around
this problem. However...

The second problem is that you don't have a probe package that
corresponds to the cdf you are using. Without the probe package you will
not be able to proceed anyway, so the first point is sorta moot.

If you are really wedded to the idea of using gcrma(), I suppose you
could get the probe_tab files for each of the chips you are using (from
the Affy website), use awk or Perl or some such to come up with a
combined probe_tab file that would correspond to the combined cdf that
you are using, build the probe package, do some hack to getCDF() to find
the cdfenv and then proceed happily.

Or else you could forget all that stuff, do RMA on your data, and
proceed (slightly less) happily, but without spending all the time
required to do the above.

Unless there is some obvious solution that escapes me. There are others
here who use gcrma() all the time who may have already met and
surmounted this problem. Although, as you noted, nobody is talking about
it ;-D.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

Best,

Jim