[BioC] Barley cdf

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri May 25 03:03:54 CEST 2007

Hi Lev,

Lev Soinov wrote:
> Dear Biocore Data Team,
>
>   I am working with Affy Barley chips at the moment. I have noticed that the order of probes in the .GIN file for these arrays is not the same as their order in the CDF environment, barley1.cdf, provided by Bioconductor.
>   So, for example, when analysing these arrays I am getting an output such as:
>
>   16578 EBma05_SQ003_C16_s_at
> 4886 Contig1579_s_at
>
>   However, in the barley .GIN file these probes have different order numbers.
>   Is it OK, or is it a sign that probes were misplaced/misnumbered in the barley1.cdf?
>   Is it a reason for concern?

What exactly is a .GIN file? And what do you mean by order number?

We use the .CDF file supplied by Affymetrix to create the cdf packages,
utilizing the mapping in that file to decide what the (x,y) location of
each probe is. Literally thousands of people have been using these for
over five years now, and nobody has claimed they are anything but
accurate, so my assumption would be that they truly are accurate. But if
you have any data that might indicate something different, I would be
interested to see it.

Best,

Jim

>   Thank you in advance.