[BioC] how to build a GOstats-compatible annotation package for plasmodium falciparum?

Paul Shannon pshannon at systemsbiology.org
Mon Nov 5 23:58:34 CET 2007

Hi Marc,

You ask:

> Is it in fact a high priority for the
> community to collate a set of annotation packages about p.falciparum?

I don't have any data on, or any real feeling for, how much use an
annotation
package for falciparum would see in the bioc community.   A few
points in its favor are

   1) falciparum is not an orphan organism:  the gene ontology
project supports
      it (along with many other organisms, of course)

   2) funding for malaria research is probably at an all-time high

   3) We (and many others) are actively searching for, and testing,
malaria vaccine candidates.
      Any progress made in this will result in lives saved.
Judicious use of
      GOstats can be very helpful in, say, identifying liver-stage
specific
      antigens, or gaining insight into the mechanisms of
cytoadhesion in
      pregnancy malaria.

I don't know if many would find this compelling, but for me, the
uncertainty
of heavy use -- would an annotation package be used my many? -- might
be offset by the real-world benefits that would likely accrue from
even limited use
of the package.

But of course I don't know how many high priority items you are
already trying to juggle.
It could be many, and their real-world benefits may be just as
compelling as falciparum
annotation:  progress on other diseases, attaining new & fundamental
understanding of
biological processes, developing new analytical techniques.

Is it possible to reduce the task from 'create a general purpose bioc
annotation package' to
simply 'assemble the few environments needed by GOstats'?   If that's
possible, and if you
could give me a few tips, perhaps I could undertake this myself.

Cheers,

  - Paul