[BioC] Generating heatmap of 110x3200 samples

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Nov 17 01:56:35 CET 2007

Dear Ruppert,

for plotting large matrices, such as
   s=sin(seq(-10, 10, length=1000))
   a=outer(s,s)

try:

   library("EBImage")
   display(Image(a))

this is bitmap-based and avoids the vector-drawing costs of 'image'.
There is also 'writeImage' to save an Image object directly to a variety
of file formats.

This is straightforward for greyscale images only. To get colour, you
would have to manage the colormap and the conversion into RGB
coordinates yourself.

Best wishes
   Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber