[BioC] Analysis of Illlumina methylation array data using beadarray

Mark Dunning md392 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 01:00:45 CET 2007

Hello Ed,

I think the best option would be work from the raw (bead level) data
when trying to understand more about the technology. To do this, the
settings.xml file will indeed need to be modified prior to scanning.
I can give you more details about that if you're not sure how to do it.

The function readIllumina is designed to work with the bead level
data from any Illumina assay, so there is no modification needed to
make it work for methylation.

This will give you a red and green intensity for each bead. After QC
on the bead level data, you can then choose to summarise the
replicate red and green values for each bead type
(createBeadSummaryData) or get an average log-ratio for each bead
type. I haven't yet implemented a method to get an average beta value
for each bead type.

The issue of normalisation is a tricky one and I haven't seen a good
solution yet unfortunately. Unlike gene expression, you can't assume
most probes will not be differentially expressed or that the
distribution of signal on each array will be the same. That seems to
rule out some popular approaches. From the data I have seen, there is
an obvious dye-bias in the two channels, which could seriously affect
if you call things as being methylated or not. I think the best you
can do at this stage is to normalise for this, possibly using
information from the negative controls. I'd also be interested to
hear if anyone has any good suggestions though!

Hope this helps,

Mark