[BioC] DNAString ("GC") -- error in nchar? [resolved]

Paul Shannon pshannon at systemsbiology.org
Tue Oct 2 22:47:41 CEST 2007

Late last week I reported my puzzlement over an error I encountered
using Biostrings with R 2.6.  The error was reported
as an improper call to nchar.

I received good advice from Martin, Herve and Henrik,
which helped me to resolve the problem.  I report this here in
case it is of use to anyone else.

Martin & co. suspected that -- even though I was sure
I had installed the latest Biostrings to use with R 2.6 --
I might have an older version of Biostrings lurking
somewhere in my libPaths.  By starting up with

     R --vanilla

the older Biostrings was ignored, and I learned that the
new Biostrings is indeed compatible with the new 3-argument
2.6 version of nchar.

Thanks to all who helped!

  - Paul