[BioC] VSN, RMA, dCHIP, etc....

Tobias Straub tstraub at med.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Oct 16 17:58:29 CEST 2007

trying to add my semi-philosophical, semi-biological cents:

- i agree with your concerns, it is a jungle. and it's very difficult
to decide where to go.

- if you are in doubt about your strategy you might want to apply it
to a golden standard data set with maximum prior knowledge (if there
is any - depends on the application).

- your results should be fairly similar when applying different data
analysis strategies (this basically means that if you have 'good'
input, the output is usually not severely compromised by different
data processing strategies). if you get different results with
different strategies then maybe your primary data is not good enough,
you do not have enough data points, you do not have enough
replicates.. etc etc.

- if your results are plausible you might be on the right track! try
to confirm your results with different experiments/technologies.

- i think that in general one can assume that less data manipulation
(normalization etc.) is rather not harmful. and vice versa.

- as far as i am concerned, normalization is usually not the problem,
but whatever comes thereafter. things like filtering, significance
testing.

best regards
T.