[BioC] Download problem

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon Oct 22 19:03:56 CEST 2007

Dear Fabio,
   Almost surely there is some local problem (to you). You will need to
speak with someone there to find out what that problem might be. Not
being able to open a URL from inside of R, suggests that you examine the
relevant documentation on setting up other means of downloading (perhaps
your site requires the use of a proxy server?), such as wget, etc.
which you would need to configure.

  best wishes
    Robert

Fabio Passetti wrote:
> Dear bioconductor developers and mainteiners,
>
> I have been trying to download since last week some packages either from
> the web site or inside R. First, I tried to install inside R, as follows:
>
>  > source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>  > biocLite("annaffy")
> Running biocinstall version 2.1.8 with R version 2.6.0
> Your version of R requires version 2.1 of Bioconductor.
> Warning in install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, repos = repos, dependencies =
> dependencies,  :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using
>   '/storage/carma/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.6'
> also installing the dependency AnnotationDbi
>
> trying URL
> 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/src/contrib/AnnotationDbi_1.0.6.tar.gz'
> Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
>   cannot open URL
>
> 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/src/contrib/AnnotationDbi_1.0.6.tar.gz'
> In addition: Warning message:
> In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
>   cannot open: HTTP status was '403 Forbidden'
> Warning in download.packages(p0, destdir = tmpd, available = available,  :
>   download of package 'AnnotationDbi' failed
> trying URL
> 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/src/contrib/annaffy_1.10.0.tar.gz'
> Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
>   cannot open URL
>
> 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/src/contrib/annaffy_1.10.0.tar.gz'
> In addition: Warning message:
> In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
>   cannot open: HTTP status was '403 Forbidden'
> Warning in download.packages(p0, destdir = tmpd, available = available,  :
>   download of package 'annaffy' failed
>
> Then I have tried to download manually these packages from the
> bioconductor web site, but they came corrupted.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fabio

Robert Gentleman, PhD