[BioC] Arguments for normalizewithinarrays (Limma)

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 25 15:08:18 CEST 2007

Quoting Sally <sagoldes at shaw.ca>:

> I am trying to understand what values I should put in for the
> following arguments.  For example how many iterations should I use.
>  What is a good value for span, df etc.?  Can anyone guide me?  Is
> there a good reference source for this information?
>
> normalizeWithinArrays(object, layout, method="printtiploess",
> weights=object$weights, span=0.3, iterations=4, controlspots=NULL,
> df=5, robust="M", bc.method="subtract", offset=0)
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

I found the function 'scatter.smooth' very useful for this. It will
plot a scatterplot (from a given set of data) and display the loess
curve fit according to a number of parameters. That allows you to see
how the fit changes as you change the number of iterations, and the
span, etc.

check ?scatter.smooth

The defaults in Limma ('normalizeWithinArrays')are generally more than
adequate, 'though.

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.