[BioC] retrieving SNP names for MM probes using oligo

Benilton Carvalho bcarvalh at jhsph.edu
Sat Oct 27 05:16:59 CEST 2007

Hi Stacey,

I'm going to assume you're using the latest R and latest oligo...

I didn't see any reason why probeNames would give different results
for MM probes, so I didn't implement it... I'll add that in the
future....

Anyways, we can easily check the result with some SQL:

library(pd.mapping250k.nsp)
sql <- "SELECT man_fsetid FROM featureSet, mmfeature WHERE
featureSet.fsetid = mmfeature.fsetid ORDER BY fid"
mm.results <- dbGetQuery(db(pd.mapping250k.nsp), sql)[[1]]
pm.results <- probeNames(pd.mapping250k.nsp)
identical(mm.results, pm.results)

Your impression about 40 probes per SNP is correct only for XBA and
HIND arrays. On the 250K arrays, that doesn't happen necessarily. By
the way, on the 250K platform, don't expect all SNPs to have probes
on both strands, it's not a requirement for NSP/STY either.

Please, let me know if this makes sense,

Best,