[BioC] lumi: how is the controlData to be read and used?

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Oct 28 08:32:39 CET 2007

At 08:11 AM 28/10/2007, Pan Du wrote:
>Hi Gordon,
>
>The using of controlProbe data has not been well developed yet. Actually we
>would like to hear the opinions from you and other developers about how to
>using control probe information.

I am glad that you are open to opinions, but it is disconcerting that
you are not prepared to make any recommendations about background correction.

This leaves me wondering how to use the lumi package at the moment.
The results from vst do change somewhat depending on how the data has
been background corrected. If you're not making any recommendations
about background correction, does this mean that you're not yet ready
to recommend vst either?

Are you saying that background correction makes so little difference
that vst can be recommended regardless of the background correction method?

Or are you saying that the pre-processing methods of the lumi package
are in general not yet fully developed or tested, so that we should
not view them as recommendations?

>The Control_Probe_profile.txt file can also be read by lumiR function. But
>the user has to manually extract the exprs slot and add it into the
>controlProbe slot. We will further develop on this part.

No, this does not work, for several reasons.

Firstly, there is no slot called "controlProbe". I think you mean
"controlData".

Secondly, there is no slot called "exprs". I think you mean the
exprs() extractor function.

Thirdly, exprs(x) is a matrix, whereas the controlData slot has to be
a data.frame.

Fourthly, and most serious, when lumiR() reads a control probe
profile, exprs(x) loses any information on which probes are negative
controls, making it completely useless for background correction. The
row names are just probeID numbers:

   > x <- lumiR(file.path("data","Actn3_Control_Probe_Profile.txt"))
   Warning message:
   In lumiR(file.path("data", "Actn3_Control_Probe_Profile.txt")) :
     Duplicated IDs found and were merged!
   > rownames(exprs(x))[1:5]
   [1] "610064"    "100610064" "100580056" "580056"    "360035"

As I said, a complete code example would be helpful!

Gordon