[BioC] "as.matrix.vsn"

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Sun Sep 16 14:49:56 CEST 2007

Dear Gordon,

great - thanks for pointing this out! Just to explain the rationale for
"vsn" objects:

"vsn" objects are returned by the function "vsn2" and contain all the
information on the fit of the vsn model to data. There is a "predict"
method that lets users apply the fitted model to either the same or new
data (e.g. if you use known housekeeping or spike-in transcrips for
fitting and then apply to all data).

In many use cases, one just wants to use the normalized & transformed
data and not bother with the details of vsn.  The wrapper "justvsn" is
for that purpose, it returns an ExpressionSet or NChannelSet, as
appropriate.

In vsn version 1, I had tried to mush the fit results and diagnostics
into the returned exprSet object, but that never really worked well,
hence it is now done as described above.

  Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber