[BioC] LIMMA: MA, design, and contrasts

Tiandao Li Tiandao.Li at usm.edu
Thu Sep 20 19:18:32 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am using limma for 2-color microarray data analysis. I have some
questions regarding MA, design, and contrasts.

1. I have one MA file including all my experiments. Rows of MA correspond
to spots and columns to individual experimental file. Columns were listed
as the increasing order of file names, since I used barcodes as file
names. Then after reading in the target file and creating design matrix, I
used the following to caluculate correlation between duplicates.

corfit <- duplicateCorrelation(MA,design,ndups=4) # A slow computation!
corfit$consensus.correlation

However if columns of MA2 are listed following the order of
target$FileName, corfit2$consensus.correlation value is different from one
of MA. Which one should I use in the next anlysis?

2. I have one MA file including all my experiments, and also an all-in-one
contrast matrix including different contrasts (related or un-related).
Should I use this all-in-one contrast matrix for linear model to find the
differentially expressed genes? This doesn't sound right. Or I use subset
of MA for and only for related one or more contrasts, and use all-in-one
MA only necessary. Which one is better?

Thanks in advance,

Tiandao