[BioC] Building Rgraphviz w/ Graphviz 2.14

Emil Lundberg emil.lundberg at bmc.uu.se
Fri Sep 21 17:28:22 CEST 2007

Thanks Li and Robert for quick replies. I applied the version-
specific fixes to common.h and graphvizVersion.c from 1.15.9 to the
1.14.1 distro, and it compiles/installs nicely against graphviz
2.14-1. I'll let you know if it doesn't work out somehow.

/Emil

> [...]
>>> then took a side tour to the Graphviz developers, but I now believe
>>> it belongs here.
>>>
>>> Response from macports-users: http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/
>>> macports-users/2007-September/005630.html
>>> Response from graphviz-devel: https://mailman.research.att.com/
>>> pipermail/graphviz-devel/2007/000450.html
>>>
>>> The root of the problem is that graphviz >=2.14 is missing some
>>> header files as compared to older versions. I assume this is due to
>>> the cleanup of the code rather than missing functionality, but in
>>> any
>>> case, a revision of the Rgraphviz package is probably in order.
>>>
>>> Until an Rgraphviz update hits the trunk, do you have any tips on
>>> how
>>> I can get the current Rgraphviz to compile manually? Or dare I try
>>> the OS X binary? Se below for compilation specifics.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Emil Lundberg
>>> MicroArray Datawarehouse Resource (MADR)
>>> Linnaeus Centre for Bioinformatics (LCB)
>>> Biomedical Centre (BMC)
>>> Uppsala University
>>>

>>> **********
>>> (manually in the Rgraphviz directory, or through bioclite
>>> ("Rgraphviz"))
>>> % R CMD INSTALL .
>>> * Installing to library '/opt/local/lib/R/library'
>>> * Installing *source* package 'Rgraphviz' ...
>>> configure: No --with-graphviz option was specified. Trying to find
>>> graphviz using other methods.
>>> checking for pkg-config... /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
>>> configure: Found graphviz 2.14.1
>>> configure: We have inferred the following flags for graphviz
>>> configure: ..PKG_CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include/graphviz
>>> configure: ..PKG_LIBS=-L/opt/local/lib -lgvc
>>> configure: creating ./config.status
>>> config.status: creating src/Makevars
>>> ** libs
>>> /opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.2 -std=gnu99 -I/opt/local/lib/R/include -I/
>>> opt/local/lib/R/include -I/opt/local/include/graphviz    -
>>> DGRAPHVIZ_MAJOR=2 -DGRAPHVIZ_MINOR=14 -I/opt/local/include  -
>>> D__NO_MATH_INLINES  -fPIC  -O2 -c LL_funcs.c -o LL_funcs.o
>>> In file included from /opt/local/include/graphviz/gvc.h:20,
>>>                   from common.h:30,
>>>                   from LL_funcs.c:1:
>>> /opt/local/include/graphviz/types.h:27:1: warning: "TRUE" redefined
>>> In file included from common.h:5,
>>>                   from LL_funcs.c:1:
>>> /opt/local/lib/R/include/Rdefines.h:148:1: warning: this is the
>>> location of the previous definition
>>> In file included from LL_funcs.c:1:
>>> common.h:41:20: error: gvcint.h: No such file or directory
>>> common.h:42:21: error: globals.h: No such file or directory
>>> make: *** [LL_funcs.o] Error 1
>>> chmod: /opt/local/lib/R/library/Rgraphviz/libs/*: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Rgraphviz'
>>> ** Removing '/opt/local/lib/R/library/Rgraphviz'
>>>
>>> I've already tried removing the gvcint.h and globals.h includes from

>>> graphvizVersion.c: In function 'Rgraphviz_graphvizVersion':
>>> graphvizVersion.c:24: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete
>>> type
>>>

>>> **********
>>>
>>> Thanks guys for adressing this. My graphviz (2.14-1 from
>>> MacPorts) is
>>> missing the following headers compared to Ryan's 2.12:
>>>
>>> aghdr.h
>>> agxbuf.h
>>> arith.h		(back as of 2.14-3)
>>> ast_common.h