[BioC] Problem with GOPkgBuilder from AnnBuilder when trying to create an updated GO data package

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 23:30:05 CEST 2007

Dear Stefan,

> Thanks for your mail.
> I feel there is some misunderstanding here. I am not after a monthly
> update of Bioconductor annotation packages at all. I just would like to
> use the GO package, because I want to use the gene ontology vocabulary
> in R for my research. I would like to be able to have this up to date.
> My question is then if I want to do this, then is the GOPkgBuilder
> function of the AnnBuilder package the function to use, since this is
> what it seems from the documentation.

Yes, that is correct, but the point is that all the annotation packages
refer to each other (and in particular each one uses the GO terms from
the GO package), and changing such a basic package GO, without the
others can create lots of missing links / invalid references. If you
want to deal with that, then fine, but it is up to you.

What is your use case for upating the GO package so frequently? You will
also need to simultaneously update your other data structures that link
your objects of interest (e.g. reporters on a microarray) to GO terms.

An alternative is to use the biomaRt package, but again, but I'd expeczt
that you will need to do work to postprocess the annotations and align
them between different databases sources.

  Best wishes
   Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber