[BioC] row.names in the latest vsn

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 00:50:45 CEST 2008

Dear Roumyana,

this is because I rationalized the function structure, as follows:

1.) The generic function "vsn2" has methods for data objects of class
AffyBatch, ExpressionSet, NChannelSet, RGList and matrix. It returns a
fit object of class "vsn" with model fit parameters etc. The generic
function "predict" applies a fitted model to a data object (of any of
the above classes) and, in the case of AffyBatch and in most other
cases, returns a data object of the same class and shape.

2.) So "justvsn" is now literally just as follows:

justvsn = function(x,  ...) {
     fit = vsn2(x, ...)
     predict(fit, newdata=x, useDataInFit=TRUE)
   }

3.) If you also want to do the probe-set summarization by RMA (an
Affymetrix-specific feature that has nothing directly to do with vsn),
you can call

   vsnrma

which is a wrapper around "justvsn" and then "rma" from the affy package
where the latter is called with options normalize=FALSE, background=FALSE.

Bottomline: please have a look at the vsnrma function.

Also, for all those of you who have endured the vsn version 1 -->
version 2 transition, to all intents and purposes the reengineering of
vsn is now done and I intend to make no further changes to the user
interface.

Best wishes
   Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber