[BioC] Remove from package-list

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Apr 2 00:41:22 CEST 2008

Hi Kathy,

The function that populates the list you are talking about is
packages(), which simply looks in your local library directory and then
lists all packages that are there that also have a DESCRIPTION file with
a valid version field. See ?.packages for more information.

So what that says to me is that there are remnants of the marrayNorm,
etc packages in your library directory. If there are only remnants of
the packages there, then remove.packages() will not do anything.
Instead, you will have to go in there (you can find out where this is by
typing .libPaths() at an R prompt) and remove all the marrayNorm, etc
directories you find there.

In addition, you should probably do

install.packages("tcltk")

as well to fix your evidently busted tcltk package.

OR, better yet, since R-2.6.0 is obsolete, you might just install
R-2.6.2 and run biocLite() to get a shiny new installation that should
Just Work(tm).

Best,

Jim

Kathy Duncan wrote:
> [...]
> 'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
>
> Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
> 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
> Type 'q()' to quit R.

> Error in library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE, lib.loc=
> lib.loc) :
>   'tcltk' is not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.6.0 (2007-10-03)
> i386-pc-mingw32
>
> locale:
> - - - - - - -
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base

> [1] tools_2.6.0
>

> Kathy
>

> = = = = = =  == = = = = = =
>

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen <
> khansen at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> What about uninstalling the packages using (for example)
>> R> packages.remove()
>>
>> You are using a custom startup script that loads everything in all you
>> libraries. This is pretty bad (IMHO) for several reasons, amongst them
>> 1) you may have a conflict with loading two packages containing
>> functions with the same name.
>> 2) It is bad for debugging, especially if you want help from other
>> people.
>> 3) when you install a package, you are installing over something you
>> have already loaded.
>>
>> Kasper
>>

>> On Mar 30, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Kathy Duncan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I previously tried unsuccessfully to install packages like
>>> "marrayInput",
>>> "marrayClasses",
>>> "marrayNorm" from their respective webpages. But later I came to know
>>> (courtesy: Sean Davis) that those packages are no longer available
>>> in newer
>>> releases of bioconductor, and have been consolidated into "marray".
>>>
>>> Now, I'm wondering whether I can remove the names of such (defunct !)
>>> packages from the list generated by PACKAGES > LOAD PACKAGES in R.
>>>
>>> Kathy
>>>

>>> = = = = = =  ==  = = =
>>>
>>> R version 2.6.0 (2007-10-03)
>>> Copyright (C) 2007 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>>> ISBN 3-900051-07-0
>>>
>>> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>>> You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
>>> Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
>>>
>>>  Natural language support but running in an English locale
>>>
>>> R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
>>> Type 'contributors()' for more information and
>>> 'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
>>>
>>> Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
>>> 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
>>> Type 'q()' to quit R.

>>> Warning messages:
>>> 1: '\A' is an unrecognized escape in a character string
>>> 2: unrecognized escape removed from ";for Options\AutoIndent: 0=Off,
>>> 1=follow language scoping and 2=copy from previous line\n"
>>> 3: In grep(paste("[{]TclEval ", topic, "[}]", sep = ""),