[BioC] Limma and vennDiagram

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 14 16:34:35 CEST 2008

Hi Ng,

include='both' will mark a gene as differentially expressed or not
differentially expressed, ignoring the direction. If your categories are
A, B and C, a gene that is up in A & B and down in C will end up at the
intersection of the three categories

include=c('up','down') will do two comparisons. The first ('up') marks
the gene as overexpressed or not (i.e. underexpressed or unchanged). The
second does the opposite and only counts underexpressed genes.

You will notice that both sets of counts include the total of your
genes, as they cannot be considered together. The previous example that
is up in A & B and down in C would end up being in the A&B intersection
in 'up', and in C only in the 'down'.

Please tell me if this is not clear.

I am unsure which labels you are talking about that you would like to
move to the left hand side. Unfortunately, the positions for labels are
hard-coded in this function. One way would be to use fix(vennDiagram) to
  change them if you want. If you tell me which ones you want exactly, I
could send you another version with the position changed.

Francois