[BioC] agilent zebrafish array annotation

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 17 17:40:51 CEST 2008

Georg Otto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started to use the agilent zebrafish array and I am using
> bioconductor packages (limma and others) for the data analysis as I
> did already with the Affymetrix zebrafish array. I noticed that unlike
> for the Affymetrix zebrafish array, there is no annotation package for
> the Agilent zebrafish array, but there are packages for the Agilent
> human, mouse and rat arrays.
>
> Since I have some experience in creating custom annotation
> environments (e.g. using biomart) I would be willing to volunteer in
> generating an annotation package for the Agilent zebrafish
> array. However, it is not quite clear to me, how for example the
> mgug4104a.gb or other packages of this kind were generated. Reading
> the vignettes of the AnnBuilder and AnnotationDbi packages did not
> help me very much either.
>
> Therefor my question is: Is the package creation process documented
> somewhere? Is the code for the package generation available somewhere?
> As I said, I would be willing to generate the annotation package and
> contribute this to the community, but I do not know where to start.
>
> Best,
>
> Georg

HiGeorg,

Right now there are two styles of annotation package.  The newer format
is generated from code in the very latest bleeding edged version of
AnnotationDbi (from the devel branch), and the older format is generated
from AnnBuilder.  It is preferable to use the newer code in
AnnotationDbi, but this requires that your organism be supported first.
As of right now, zebrafish is not a supported organism for the newer
packages, but this is not set in stone.  If you would be willing to work
with me a little bit and be slightly more patient, we can try to rectify
this situation together, but otherwise you are going to have to use the
older AnnBuilder package to make your zebrafish packages.

Making a vignette for AnnBuilder is mostly about calling the
ABPkgBuilder() function with the correct parameters and using properly
formatted inputs.  Once zebrafish is a supported organism, the process
for making a new package using AnnotationDbi's SQLForge functions would
be very similar.  I will be happy to help you with either of these
processes.

    Marc