[BioC] Merging microarray datasets

lgautier at altern.org lgautier at altern.org
Thu Apr 24 12:55:29 CEST 2008

> Thanks to Adai and Eric,
>
> Well, I'm trying to bring back the discussion to the previous direction as
> it apparently went to a different area : cross-platform integration. :)
> was wondering about integration within the same platform – an issue when
> there are multiple chips (in case of affymetrix)     OR        multiple
> print layouts (cDNA .gal files).
>
> "
 have to normalize all raw data together. All data should also be of one
> platform only. Then you can simply normalize all CEL files or all -----
> files together and be done."  [courtesy: Balasubramanian]
>
> So, if I have suppose MA1, MA2
 as respective normalised datasets (same
> platform. After doing normalization based on chip-types in case of
> Affymetrix, OR, print layouts in case of cDNA), can I just normalize them
> again for the final dataset, or I need to take care of some other issues
> too
> (how to tackle!) ? Also, wonder if there's any smart package in this
> regard!

I am no certain that there is a magic package that can do the best data
transformation for all situations.

You may well have to include a dataset effect into your analysis (as
Robert and others are recommending it), and there are many (smart)
packages available in R to help you build models and estimate effects.

> Also Eric, I didn't get you what project you were talking about : "
See
> for
> example the oncomine project
."

The project aims at bundling heterogeneous expression data together.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15068665?dopt=AbstractPlus