[BioC] modify colClasses in read.columns?

Henrik Parn henrik.parn at bio.ntnu.no
Fri Apr 25 16:42:00 CEST 2008

Dear all,

I have received some data sets with some variables that certainly looks
like numeric: they are individual IDs that are composed of some numbers
separated by ".", e.g. 6534231.18, 8783234.20. Not surprisingly they are
treated as numeric by read.columns, and 8783234.20 ends up like
8783234.2 when read to R. When I used read.table I specified in
colClasses that these variables should be read as |characters. However,
in read.columns| |required.col| and |text.to.search| is used to set up
the |colClasses| argument of |read.table|.| Does anyone have a
suggestion of how I can modify the read.columns function so I can
specify the colClasses myself?

Thanks in advance!   |

--
Henrik Pärn