[BioC] HELP package

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 19 20:28:35 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Paul Hammer <Paul.Hammer at p-t-p.de> wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> I know that the package HELP
> (http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/html/HELP.html) is designed
> for R-2.8. But I have heard that it is also possible to install HELP under
> R-2.7 with a little trick. Is that right ? Is there any way to do this?

I've got a patched version of biocLite() that you can tell to fake the
version number of R.  Say you run R v2.7.1, then you can do (I'm sure
I'm getting into trouble for making it this simple):

> source("http://www.braju.com/R/hbLite.R");
> biocLite("HELP");
Running biocinstall version 2.2.10 with R version 2.7.1
Your version of R requires version 2.2 of BioConductor.
Warning message:
package 'HELP' is not available
biocLite("HELP", rver="2.8.0");
Running biocinstall version 2.3.7 with R version 2.8.0 (under development)
Your version of R requires version 2.3 of Bioconductor.
trying URL 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/bin/windows/contrib/2.8/HE
LP_0.99.2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 1103967 bytes (1.1 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 1.1 Mb
package 'HELP' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

Boring disclaimer: Note that if you do this, you are on your own and
if you plan to report bugs etc to BioC about HELP (and dependent
packages), then make sure to do your test on R v2.8.0 and not as
above.  The above trick is only intended to be used when you know it
is safe to use it on R v2.7.1. as well.

Please don't kill the messenger - nor the provider - for this one ;)

/Henrik