[BioC] question about biomaRt attributes

Elizabeth Purdom epurdom at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 20 08:06:57 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am rerunning code I had using biomaRt. But I believe there is a change
in the attributes. Before, everything was 'structure_xyz' from the
Structure category:

anno <- getBM(c("structure_gene_stable_id",
                  "structure_transcript_stable_id",
                  "structure_exon_stable_id",
                  "structure_chrom_name",
                  "structure_transcript_chrom_strand",
                  "structure_exon_chrom_start",
                  "structure_exon_chrom_end",
                  "structure_exon_rank",
                  "structure_biotype"),
                mart = mart)

Now it appears that it's just structure_transcript_stable_id, but the
other attributes are under Gene or Exon, rather than Structure. I don't
really know the distinction in this. Is it okay to mix these terms like
I do here:

annoNew <- getBM(c("ensembl_gene_id",
                 "structure_transcript_stable_id",
                 "ensembl_exon_id",
                  "exon_chrom_start",
                  "exon_chrom_end",
                  "strand",
                  "chromosome_name",
                  "biotype"),
                mart = mart)

I've run the code and don't see any obvious problems, but I would like
to be sure -- it's hard to find out if there's a problem on just a tiny
number of genes.

Thanks for any help,
Elizabeth
UC, Berkeley