[BioC] Custom CDF files

Mark Robinson mrobinson at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Dec 1 08:41:17 CET 2008

Edward.

Given that you have a CDF file (or can make one easily) and you want
RMA-summarized values, I suggest you try one of:

1. use 'make.cdf.package' in the makecdfenv package to take the CDF
file and create the annotation package ... then install the package
with an 'R CMD INSTALL' ... then on with 'rma'.

2. use aroma.affymetrix -- CDF file goes in 1 directory, CEL files go
in another, and you're set ... then on with your summaries.

Cheers,
Mark

On 01/12/2008, at 5:51 PM, Edward Oakeley wrote:

> [...]
> as
> a format for me because we mostly use S.pombe tiling arrays. Three
> problems with the pombe array: 1) it has oligos that alternate in
> their
> strand orientation (so it goes +,-,+,-,...) but the strand info is not
> encoded in the BPMAP file so you have to align it to the genome; 2)
> Affy
> only make a BPMAP file against an ancient sequence assembly for which
> the annotations are very very poor; 3) Only the Sanger have the
> annotations on their website (not the NCBI/UCSC) and these must be
> downloaded as GFF files.
>
> Given 1-3 and the fact that I need to make RMA expression values for
> the
> gene regions the simplest approach is to make CDF files which is
> actually a trivial task as the CDF format for genomic intervals is
> very
> straightforward.
>
> Given that someone somewhere is able to make packages for Bioconductor
> for expression arrays (which is what we now have in effect) I was just
> wondering if anyone knew how this can be done. I can condense them in
> RMAexpress but it would be nice to make a simple workflow that can be
> used by anyone working with these chips (i.e. make a CDF package and
> add
> all the Sanger annotations to it).
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks
> Edward
>

> On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 01:18 -0200, Benilton Carvalho wrote:
>> For tiling arrays, Affymetrix provides BPMAP files. You can use the
>> pdInfoBuilder package to create an annotation package. Once the
>> annotation package is installed, you can use the oligo package to
>> read
>> the data in.
>>
>> For example, with pdInfoBuilder, you can use something like the
>> following:
>>
>> library(pdInfoBuilder)
>> bpmapFile <- "Hs35b_P06R_v01-3_NCBIv36.bpmap"
>> cifFile <- "Hs35b_P06R_v01.cif"
>> obj <- new("AffyTilingPDInfoPkgSeed",
>>            version="0.1",
>>            author="Benilton Carvalho",
>>            email="bcarvalh at jhsph.edu",
>>            biocViews="AnnotationData",
>>            genomebuild="NCBI Build 36",
>>            bpmapFile=bpmapFile,
>>            cifFile=cifFile)
>> makePdInfoPackage(obj, destDir=".")
>>

>> best,

>> On Nov 30, 2008, at 7:07 PM, Edward Oakeley wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I make custom CDF files for use with our Affy tiling arrays. Each
>>> one I
>>> make by aligning the oligos to the latest genome build and then
>>> intersecting the coordinates with the latest GFF annotation files.
>>> This
>>> works fine with applications that can accept CDF files but I would
>>> like
>>> to use Bioconductor to condense expression values. It would also be
>>> if there was an easy way to link in things like GO terms etc that