[BioC] Illumina annotation packages discrepancy

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za
Mon Dec 1 10:39:11 CET 2008

Hi Pan,

thanks for your answer. I've been (and still am) struggling a bit to get
consistent and up to date annotation for my data.

So, I guess it is more reliable to use the lumiHumanAll.db package?

However, what about the probes that are note annotated in lumiHumanAll
but look like interesting for my study (i.e. appearing in my top lists
for differential expression or classification power).
I've got such probes that are annotated neither packages lumiHumanAll.db
nor in lumiHumanV2 but are in illuminaHumanv2.

Hence no package give me consistent annotation for my top genes. However
I've got an annotation file (that came with the array data, I guess
output by BeadStudio) that gives me annotations for all of my probes.
But as you mentioned, these might be outdated, which actually bothers
me. Any suggestion about that?

By the way, how come that even Illumina "proprietary" packages
(illuminaHumanv2.db) don't annotate correctly their own probes? :(

Thanks again for your help and clarification, and the lumi package.

Renaud