[BioC] Illumina annotation packages discrepancy

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za
Tue Dec 2 08:42:40 CET 2008

Oups... I'm really sorry Mark for the confusion. I think misread the
vignette.

I BLASTed some of the missing probes and some of them gave quite
convincing results (100% identity but with different variants), others
didn't return any sequence. So I'll try with the package from 2.2.

Thanks again,
Renaud

Lynn Amon wrote:
> The illuminaHumanv2.db package is not a "proprietary" package.  It is
> currently maintained by Mark Dunning (Mark.Dunning at cancer.org.uk).  It
> is based on BLASTed sequences but there was a problem in creating the
> package when more than one accession was assigned to a probe which
> caused the annotation program to skip all those probes which is why
> you are finding so many without annotation.  You should contact Mark
> to find out if that problem was corrected and a new version released.
> You could also try using 2.2 release which I created and has
> annotation for all those probes.
> Lynn
>

> Renaud Gaujoux wrote:
>> Hi Pan,
>>
>> thanks for your answer. I've been (and still am) struggling a bit to
>> get consistent and up to date annotation for my data.
>>
>> So, I guess it is more reliable to use the lumiHumanAll.db package?
>>
>> However, what about the probes that are note annotated in
>> lumiHumanAll but look like interesting for my study (i.e. appearing
>> in my top lists for differential expression or classification power).
>> I've got such probes that are annotated neither packages
>> lumiHumanAll.db nor in lumiHumanV2 but are in illuminaHumanv2.
>>
>> Hence no package give me consistent annotation for my top genes.
>> However I've got an annotation file (that came with the array data, I
>> guess output by BeadStudio) that gives me annotations for all of my
>> probes. But as you mentioned, these might be outdated, which actually
>> bothers me. Any suggestion about that?
>>
>> By the way, how come that even Illumina "proprietary" packages
>> (illuminaHumanv2.db) don't annotate correctly their own probes? :(
>>
>> Thanks again for your help and clarification, and the lumi package.
>>
>> Renaud
>>

>> Pan Du wrote:
>>> Hi Renaud,
>>>
>>> The reason of discrepancy is due to the different mapping criteria.
>>> Both
>>> "lumiHumanAll.db" and "illuminaHumanv2.db" libraries are based on