[BioC] Detecting mRNA Expression When Somatic Mutations Have Occurred

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Dec 6 15:41:10 CET 2008

Dear Stephen

this is a very appropriate question. Such mutations can (and often will)
affect hybridisation efficiency. Mostly this seems to be "swept under
the carpet" in the microarray RNA profiling field, but the fact has also
been used since the early days of microarrays for genotyping, e.g. by
Elizabeth Winzeler et al. Direct Allelic Variation Scanning of the Yeast
Genome, Science 281 (1998) [1]. An application of this effect is in the
detection of allele-specific expression levels, e.g. Ronald et al. [2]

I've heard people doing eQTL analysis (where this effect would induce
spurios "cis-effects") saying that their microarrays were designed to
avoid at least the common polymorphims (SNPs), but looking e.g. at this
technical report:
http://www.illumina.com/downloads/WholeGenomeExpressionTechnicalBulletin.pdf
there is some explanation of their probe design, but I saw no mention of
this problem (?).

Eventually, this problem will be solved (or circumvented) by RNA-Seq.

Best wishes
      Wolfgang

[1] http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/281/5380/1194
[2] http://genome.cshlp.org/content/15/2/284.abstract