[BioC] Normalized microarray data and meta-analysis

Thomas Hampton Thomas.H.Hampton at Dartmouth.edu
Thu Dec 18 00:02:07 CET 2008

The question, I think, has to do with what sort of comparisons you
plan to
make. When people normalize using RMA, each slide ends up with a common
distribution -- the only variable being how the elements of the
distribution map
to probes on any given slide. This is already some pretty hairy
normalization,
but it seems to work ok for lining up arrays done by the same people
at the same
time and place so that you can meaningfully compare expression values
head to
head, calculate averages, and do significance tests.

With or without raw data, the idea of a meaningful direct comparisons
between of say, an
expression value of 7.5 in one lab with an expression value of 8.3 in
another
seem very optimistic to me.

Saying something like gene X was in the top 1% in expression in both
cases seems
pretty reasonable...

Tom