[BioC] Normalized microarray data and meta-analysis

Thomas Hampton Thomas.H.Hampton at Dartmouth.edu
Thu Dec 18 03:56:54 CET 2008

I feel that p-values, corrected or otherwise, may be unsatisfactory for
detecting concordance between experiments. For example, an experiment
with
higher N will show lower p-values for the same gene, even under
conditions that are otherwise precisely the same. So we can't compare
p values head to head across multiple experiments directly. Simple
simulations show
that straight fold change can be more predictive of future behavior
(say, in
somebody else's study) than statistics which place a high premium on
within-group consistency.

Check this out:

BMC Bioinformatics. 2008; 9(Suppl 9): S10.
Published online 2008 August 12. doi: 10.1186/1471-2105-9-S9-S10.
PMCID: PMC2537561
Copyright © 2008 Shi et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.

The balance of reproducibility, sensitivity, and specificity of lists
of differentially expressed genes in microarray studies

Cheers

Tom