[BioC] dependence of log2-ratios on scanning sensitivity?

Kamila Naxerova knaxerova at chip.org
Sun Feb 3 19:31:13 CET 2008

Dear Wolfgang,
thanks for your reply. To obtain the intra-array normalized values, I
followed the simplest possible approach, i.e. I did the following:

targets = readTargets("TargetExiqon.txt")
RG = read.maimages(targets, source="genepix")
MA = normalizeWithinArrays(RG,method="loess")

Can you recommend some alternatives (vsn, of course, and anything else)?
I have tried the normalization provided in the marray package, but that
seems to be largely similar, only maNorm(raw,norm="loess") returns
normalized data with many more missing values than
normalizeWithinArrays, 4608 missing values vs. 23 for limma- I don't
understand what the difference in loess implementation here is.

I have noticed that there are relatively large differences in PMT gain
across my chips. Could that be an explanation? I suppose if that is the
case, I will not be able to fix the problem computationally?

Thanks a lot,
Kamila