[BioC] Clustering question

Srinivas Iyyer srini_iyyer_bio at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 21:47:58 CET 2008

Dear group,
apologies this question is not directed to any
bioconductor package, but a simple bioinformatics
question.

I have gene expression data cDNA array.

The design is:
total 6 samples (3 treated, 3 untreated) with time
points.

Time 1:  Sample1-treated/Sample1-untreated
Time 2: Sample 2- treated / Sample 2-untreated
Time 3 : Sample 3 - treated / Sample - 3 untreated

Now I have fold-changes for Time1, Time2 and Time3.

Is it possible to do a clustering here by creating a
matrix:

Genes   Time-1   Time-2  Time-3
G1
G2
..

Is doing a simple Hierarchical clustering between all
time points a meaningful approach because the fold
changes are specific to a particular time point.
(reference samples is not universal but specific to a
timepoint).

Could anyone kindly educate me here. Apologies again
if this question is a misfit.

Thanks
Srini