[BioC] handle clustering and replicated probes in Agilent 4x44K : "philosiphical" question?

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Sat Feb 9 00:52:11 CET 2008

Hi Daniela,

There are replicated probes (same probe id) and then there are genes
that have several probes.

In the first case, I would simply suggest that you choose one. We
arbitrarily choose the first one because their expression is basically
identical with all our probes. Averaging them would probably be a better
way of doing it, but the advantage is likely quite small.

In the second case, those probes generally behave similarly, but they
can also give you a fairly different expression. I usually use a
representative probe when doing a hierarchical clustering. I don't have
any papers to back me up, but I've found most distance metrics to give
too much weight to the duplicated probes when doing hierarchical clustering.

If the probes come from a differential expression, choosing the best
p-value is reasonable. If you are doing class discovery, then you would
need to use a unbiased method, such as the variance or interquartile range.

I hope this helps,

Francois