[BioC] Why NONE of any contrast is significant when overall F-test is significant? using "global" method in decideTests() from limma package

Guiyuan Lei guiyuanlei at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 17:26:37 CET 2008

Thank you, Jim.

I also tried "separate" and "nestedF". For "separate" method, there
are also genes (around 8% of 397 significantly differential genes by
F-test)  got five '0's. As for "nestedF", every gene got at  least one
non-zero value.

In the post https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2007-April/016698.html

Gordon said
'method="separate" and method="nestedF" do quite different things.
"separate" controls the FDR on a per-contrast basis only.  It does not
control the FDR globally across all contrasts. '

Why "separate" method also generated five "0"s (5 contrasts) for
significantly differential genes by F-test?

Best regards,
Guiyuan