[BioC] Background correction -- was: Illumina data problem

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 12:30:20 CET 2008

Dear Allen,

are you saying that your estimated fold changes are compressed towards 1
because you did not do background correction?
There is a reason why background correction is done: to increase
sensitivity of the analysis. Simply to omit background correction
because you don't like negative net intensities misses the point, and it
causes exactly what you describe, namely loss of sensitivity.

There are two approaches to this:
(i) use a biased background correction method that does not produce
negative values, then you can log-transform
(ii) use an unbiased background correction method that can produce
negative values, then do a glog-transform
The net effect of these approaches is often quite similar in practice.

I would like to refer to the documentation of, or to the authors of, the
beadarray and lumi packages regarding the best set of functions to
perform these (e.g. "vst" is along the lines of (ii)).

Best wishes
 Wolfgang

PS Allen, Please do consider using more specific (=useful) subject lines.

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber