[BioC] understanding GOstats p-value

Charles Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Sun Jan 6 18:23:24 CET 2008

Janet Young <jayoung at ...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly naive question - I want to make sure I can more or
> less understand the p-values that GOstats hyperGTest comes out with.
> Am I right in thinking the p-value is for enrichment of each category
> individually (i.e. NOT corrected for multiple testing)?

Janet,

In addition to considering James' replies, you may find the following article
(and those cited therein) to be helpful to your understanding of this and
related issues.

Chuck

@article{goeman2007age,
  title={{Analyzing gene expression data in terms of gene sets: methodological
issues}},
  author={Goeman, J.J. and Buhlmann, P.},
  journal={Bioinformatics},
  volume={23},