[BioC] Rat Nimblegen promoter dataset HOWTO

Tobias Straub tstraub at med.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Jan 17 18:28:38 CET 2008

I suggest that - after array normalization (i recommend vsn) - you
apply common statistics used for differential gene expression (e.g.
moderated t-statistics) on a probe level (control vs. treatment). for
the t-statistics you should only look at probes that are - within the
arrays of an experimental group - significantly enriched for your
histone modification before or after treatment. you then can e.g. set
a threshold (fdr-based) and define significantly changed probes.
afterwards you combine adjacent significantly changed probes using
either a sliding window or a hidden markov model as on tiling arrays
you have to assume that more than single probes will respond due to
the chromatin resolution that spans more than one probe.

that will reveal changed regions that - hopefully - locate where you
hope ;-) on promoters.
sounds complicated but shold be fairly easy.. if you are a bit
familiar with R!
best