[BioC] Limma and Dye Flips

Claus-Dieter Mayer claus at bioss.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 17:08:32 CET 2008

Hi Sally,

What you have done (averaging across the dye-flips) is basically ok, as
the information you loose by doing that only concerns technical
variability. The more sophisticated way of doing things would be to
include all arrays, but to change your limma analysis by
a) adding a dye effect (cf. limma tutorial)
b) adding a block effect that informs the analysis about which arrays
are technical replicates (dye-flips), that analyse the same biological
samples (again see the limma tutorial for details).

In addition to your treatment effect this analysis will give you
information about gene-specific dye-effects and the correlation between
the two dye-flips. Both of these might not be relevant to the biological
question of interest, but be helpful from a quality control perspective.
If you average the dye-flips you eliminate  the gene-specific dye-effect
(which is good), but you also loose the information about it. Equally
you give up the information about the technical array to array (+dye
flip)-variation. The fold-changes you estimate for your biological
effect of interest will be identical for both approaches but p-values
etc will differ slightly. From the point of statistical power both
approaches should be similar as far as I can see (and others may correct
me if I overlooked any subtle points here).

Best Wishes

Claus