[BioC] SAM siggenes number of permutations

Claus-Dieter Mayer claus at bioss.ac.uk
Wed Jan 30 16:27:25 CET 2008

Dear Oliver,

my guess is that you have 2 groups with 3 samples each in which case
there are only 20 different possible permutations and the software is
clever enough to realise that. In that case the calculation is exact,
but you will not find anything significant as the smallest possible
p-value is 5% (1/20) for a one-sided and 10%  (2/20) for a two-sided
test. The problem of how large groupsizes must be in order to apply
permutation tests was discussed on this list some time ago, have a look
at https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2007-November/020110.html.

Hope that helps,

Claus