[BioC] gains and losses via mode shifting

Benjamin Otto b.otto at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jul 2 15:57:16 CEST 2008

Hmm, maybe you can help me understand that point a little bit better. I'm
still not sure I really understand what I do see in this sample.

Let me assume, even if it might not be true, that we are talking about
tetraploid tumor cells. Let me take tetraploids to have a little bigger
range for loss levels so the level changes might not always be so clear. So
from a technical point of view if I don't have any gains or losses then I
would expect all the segment means to be on one level right? That's because
the oligos for all chromosomes are distributed over the whole chip so any
noise should apply for all chromosomes equally. There should be no bias "per
complete chromosome" in terms of physical position of oligos on the chip,
hybridization quality or affinity or dye effects. All these should apply
equally to all chromosomes. How can I observe clear shifts right on the
border between chromosomes, even if they are small, which would not
correspond to a biological difference in copy number? Why should the break
be just right between the single chromosomes? Is there a technical system
effect which can result in such profiles?

The only thing occurring to my mind is a heterogeneous mixture of cells who
have different copy numbers for certain chromosomes. So a segment mean would
not correspond to a defined number of copies but something in between. But
is there another explanation?

Best regards,

Benjamin