[BioC] Siggenes/SAM vs Excel

Thomas Hampton Thomas.H.Hampton at Dartmouth.EDU
Fri Jul 4 16:41:46 CEST 2008

Thanks very much for your response. It helped a lot.

One of the things it points out to me (yet again) is that the
essential algorithm has two parts, one to
make it so that dinky variances don't create a bunch of "significant"
genes out of small variance alone.

Second,  SAM goes to substantial lengths trying to control the false
positive rate without
simply throwing all the significant genes out.

Regardless of tweaks in the defaults, either SAM (Excel) siggenes or
samr from CRAN should do an excellent job
of identifying differentially expressed genes.

On my data, SAM certainly does a great job compared to a t test.
However, like Guo of MAQC fame, I get better
concordance between replicates with a fold change and loose p value
cutoff. This seems far too simple
to be better than SAM, but there you have it. Bioc's  RankProd also
gives me good concordance. It does . however, order
its gene lists by straight fold change...

  Perhaps SAM lists ordered by  fold change and cut off at a certain
FDR would create optimal concordance. We do not really expect FDR to be
more reproducible than fold change, do we?

Anyway, thanks for all your input into this list.

yours,

Tom