[BioC] aroma.affymetrix and affy - different results

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 8 09:50:20 CEST 2008

Hi,

here are some more details on what Ken says:

The QuantileNormalization(cs, ...) method in aroma.affymetrix
normalizes each array separately toward a target distribution.

If not specified explicitly, the target distribution is calculated as
the average sort():ed and approx():ed intensities across all arrays in
the data set. The details can be found in averageQuantile() for the
AffymetrixCelSet class.  The algorithm is the same as
aroma.light::averageQuantile() for the 'list' class, which was adopted
from 'limma' in 2002 and 2006 (which to the best of my knowledge
originates from Ben Bolstad's first implementation).  See
print(aroma.light::averageQuantile.list) for details.

The normalization toward the target distribution is then done using
aroma.light::normalizeQuantile(), which also was adopted from 'limma'
(with the same ancestors etc).  See
print(aroma.light::normalizeQuantileRank.numeric) for details.

I haven't followed development of the limma version, but I'd say they
give very similar, if not all.equal(), results.

Finally, another reason for the observed differences may be
differences in precision.  The output from QuantileNormalization is
stored in CEL files, where probe intensities are stored as floats (4
bytes).  Normalized data held in memory are doubles (8 bytes), which
is the case for most Bioconductor packages.

FYI, one of the redundancy tests being run before every major release
of aroma.affymetrix, verifies that aroma.affymetrix
(RmaBackgroundCorrection + QuantileNormalization + RmaPlm) can
reproduce the RMA
chip-effect estimates as estimated by affyPLM (mean/sd squared
differences < 10^-4).  The test was adopted from the script that Mark
Robinson posted earlier.

Cheers

/Henrik

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:16 PM, ken.m.simpson at gmail.com