[BioC] Problems installing bioconductor on ubuntu

Fri Jul 11 00:37:36 CEST 2008

Hi again,

On Jul 10, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Wolfgang Huber wrote:

> Dear Rebecca,
>

> please see below
>

>> I have been trying to install bioconductor on ubuntu 7.10 gutsy
>> using R
>> version 2.5.1, and getting a lot of error messages:
>>  Here are a few:
>> 1: package âxtableâ is not available in: install.packages(pkgs =
>> pkgs, repos
>> = repos, dependencies = dependencies,   ...
>> 2: dependency âsurvivalâ is not available in: install.packages(pkgs
>> = pkgs,
>> repos = repos, dependencies = dependencies,   ...
>> 3: installation of package 'affyio' had non-zero exit status in:
>> install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, repos = repos, dependencies =
>> dependencies,
>> 4: installation of package 'lattice' had non-zero exit status in:
>> install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, repos = repos, dependencies =
>> dependencies,
>> 5: installation of package 'KernSmooth' had non-zero exit status in:
>> install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, repos = repos, dependencies =
>> dependencies,
>> I have installed r-base-core, build-essential, g77, reflas3,
>> reflas3-dev,
>> r-base-dev, and r-recommended.
>> When I tried to install affyio by itself, I got the following error
>> message:
>>> biocLite(c("affyio"))
>> Running biocinstall version 2.0.8 with R version 2.5.1
>> Your version of R requires version 2.0 of Bioconductor.
>> Warning in install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, repos = repos,
>> dependencies =
>> dependencies,  :
>>         argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-
>> library'
>> trying URL
>> 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/src/contrib/affyio_1.4.1.tar.gz'
>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 59104 bytes
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 57Kb
>> * Installing *source* package 'affyio' ...
>> creating cache ./config.cache
>> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
>> checking for main in -lz... no
>> updating cache ./config.cache
>> creating ./config.status
>> creating src/Makevars
>> ** libs
>> gcc-4.2 -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/
>> include      -fpic
>> -g -O2 -c read_abatch.c -o read_abatch.o
>> /bin/bash: gcc-4.2: command not found
>

> ^^^^^^^^^^ This is the first problem. To install packages from
> source (which is the common thing to do in Linux) you will need to
> install various compilers and software development tools into your
> Ubuntu. Note that this is not a Bioconductor "problem" but a general
> property of R.
>
> MacOSX and Windows versions of R and Bioconductor make it a bit
> easier by offering "precompiled" packages, but in Linux you (and
> your computer) are expected to build "from source code".

> [...]

Ah! Sorry! I didn't look through the entire error dump and just tried
to pick at the "low hanging fruit" first. Maybe I can be more helpful
this time.

Typically to get the development tools in ubuntu, you'll just have to
install the "build-essential" package. From the terminal, you'd do it
like so:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

That should get you gcc, make and other stuff (listed here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/devel/build-essential)

Hope that helps,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos